Agile – The ability to create and respond to change in order to succeed in an uncertain and turbulent environment.
Agile Software Development is an umbrella term for a set of methods and practices based on the values and principles expressed in the Agile Manifesto. Solutions evolve through collaboration between self-organizing, cross-functional teams utilizing the appropriate practices for their context.
Agile Scrum A framework within which people can address complex adaptive problems, while productively and creatively delivering products of the highest possible value.
In this workshop, we will create Scrum board, create Product Backlog, set Sprint date, create Sprint Backlog.
We will be using Microsoft VSTS to configure Agile Scrum board.
lets follow below steps
- If you have either Outlook, Live or Hotmail account account then Sign In
- If you don’t have any of Microsoft account then create one. This newly created account will be used for next steps
- After you login, click on Create new account
- Give a name to your VSTS account. Select Git as source control and click on Continue. If any changes needed you can click on Change details link
- Select Work tab from the your account link. This view shows our Backlog. The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product. It is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product. The Product. Owner is responsible for the Product Backlog, including its content, availability, and ordering
- Lets create Features and respective User Stories. We will use this Sample Backlog https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/agile/scrum/scrum-tools/product-backlog/example Lets create Backlog to build Scrum Alliance Website which must have these features Profiles, News, Courses & Events, Resources, Jobs, Home Page. Lets create Features in VSTS for above functionalities. Will create some features now which are Home Page, Profiles, News, Courses & Events, Resources, Jobs
- Now that our features are ready, lets create User Stories for respective feature. Here we will create 5 user stories as Announcements tile, Upcoming Courses tile, Articles & Contents tile, Personalised content, Most Popular tile for Home Page Feature
- Open one feature and start adding details like Area, Priority, Risk, Effort, Target Date, Value Area, Description, Tags, Attachments if any. Click on Save & Close. Ideally this happens in Refinement session.
- Add relevant details to the User Story like Description, Acceptance Criteria (BDD scenarios) , Tag, Story Points, Priority, Risk and attachments if any. Ideally this happens in Refinement session.
- Link the User Story to the Feature Parent by ID
- Now that we have our Product Backlog is ready lets create the Sprint 1 (Iteration 1) and set dates.
- Start creating Sprint Backlog in Planning ceremony. Assign User Stories to Sprint 1. with this we are planning enough work for team and identify Sprint goal.
- Lets update team Capacity.
- Post planning meeting, Scrum team will create tasks with estimation for each User Story
- So far we have our Product Backlog and Sprint Backlog is ready for the team. We would update the progress as and then progresses are made. we meet in every day Stand-up to discuss with team.
- At the end of Sprint, we would Demo completed work to Stake-holders and Deploy/Release it to Production.
- Cycle repeats with Sprint 2 and so on..